Thougts on Printing a Keyboard

 I'm having semi irrational thoughts about printing a keyboard.

Controller: this category got a lot easier recently it appears with the cheap and well support Raspberry Pi Pico. $6 AUD and it has like 40 general purpose IO pins so supports many rows & columns etc without getting tricksy.

 A slightly better Raspberry Pi clone made in Europe for similar money is the Groundstudio Marble Pico which has more ram, some other technical features but most usefully it has USB C! A trouble to get it in Australia at the moment. 

This video covers it and also mentions other USB C clones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma40w3_8dtg

Software: this software called Mechware can be configured and compiled for a Raspberry Pi Pico, and is written in C.

Switches can cost a fortune but there are cheap low profile switches on aliexpress that got an ok review in this youtube video.

I would follow various diode guides about how to solder. 

There is a key cap model generator here on thingiverse, although I'm not sure if it will do what I want for low height keys for non-standard switches. I'm guessing I'd just use openscad.


 

No comments: